OIC Brighton will open with 2 boarding houses, with international boarders from Years 9 to 12. The successful candidate will support the House Parent in ensuring the highest possible levels of pastoral care and boarding provision, in world class facilities. They will contribute to the development of a positive and supportive boarding culture and House system.
The Boarding Assistant will be offered accommodation suitable for a single person within the Boarding House onsite at Oxford International College, Brighton.
Depending on the candidate’s background and experience, there may be opportunities to teach and / or lead sports and / or activities as part of this role.
Please note that this role could complement other areas of responsibility within the College’s academic and Super Curricular departments, including sporting, support and teaching positions.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- undertake supervision duties within the Boarding House according to the supervision rotas, including some evenings, overnight and weekends;
- be “on call” as specified by the supervision and on-call rotas, carrying a College mobile phone as designated;
- when on duty, be the first point of call for those students within your Boarding House
- address student welfare issues as and when they arise, in coordination with the House Parent and boarding team;
- stay up to date with required safeguarding, fire safety and boarding training and to comply with the College’s safeguarding policies at all times, using CPOMS as instructed;
- run evening activities in the Boarding House;
- run or assist in running weekend activities when on duty, contributing to the provision for full boarders;
- assist with the induction of new boarders and their families;
- carry out roll calls and comply to administrative and record keeping procedures within the Boarding House;
- assist with House competitions and contribute to the interhouse programme across the school year;
- carry out room inspections including ensuring rooms are vacated at the end of term;
- assist the House Parent in ensuring that all students comply with the College and House rules;
- attend regular House meetings.
Responsibilities and Reporting Relationships
The Boarding Assistant will report to their House Parent and to the Head of Boarding. All boarding responsibilities will be overseen by the Deputy Principal Pastoral and Well-Being.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- High levels of emotional intelligence and a proven ability to form strong working relationships with colleagues and students.
- Flexibility and adaptability, understanding and rising to the changing demands of a new College.
- Positivity and a good sense of humour.
- High levels of integrity.
- The ability to prioritise and proven time management and organizational skills.
- A willingness to work and empathise with students from a broad range of international backgrounds.
- Knowledge and understanding of safeguarding practice is desirable.
- Experience working in a boarding environment is desirable.
- Flexibility and resilience, with a willingness to ‘get stuck in’ to the development of a new school and the demands of shaping and guiding the College in its infancy.
- A genuine commitment to the values and ethos of the College.
- High levels of personal and professional integrity.
- Highly developed interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills, with high levels of digital competency.
- Highly developed time management skills, with the ability to prioritise and manage workloads, working well under pressure and against deadlines.
- Appreciation and understanding of confidentiality and safeguarding.
- Appreciation and understanding of the context of international education, with sensitivity to the diverse needs of international students and their families.
Role: Full time, Fixed Term Contract for One Academic Year
- free meals during term-time
- accommodation onsite in the Boarding House
- participation in the ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme
Start date: 7 August 2023
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
- Company pension
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Brighton: reliably commute or be willing to relocate with an employer-provided relocation package (required)
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 30/04/2023
Expected start date: 07/08/2023
To apply please click here