The Preparatory School and the Sutton Valence Family
Sutton Valence Preparatory School (SVPS) is an independent, IAPS, 2-11 years co-educational school situated in the glorious Kent countryside. There are currently 292 pupils on roll. It is a happy and caring school where the children are supported to reach their potential, and they achieve impressively in both academic and co-curricular activities.
The Senior School, Sutton Valence School, is located in the village of Sutton Valence, less than a mile down a country lane from SVPS. It currently has 584 pupils (11-18), 113 of whom are boarders. The School has a great heart that values individuality and ensures that every pupil enjoys their own unique journey through the formative years of their education.
The School is part of the United Westminster and Grey Coat Foundation. This enables the School to work collaboratively with other members of the Foundation and also provides invaluable professional support, guidance and development. More information can be found about the Foundation at www.westminstergreycoat.org.
The HIK SVS International School in Tianjin, China, is the most recent addition to the SVS family having opened in August 2017, offering a British-style education in a very different cultural setting. The School has been very successful since its opening, and it works closely with the Governors and Leadership of both SVPS and SVS. This provides a fascinating professional opportunity. More information can be found at www.hiksvs.com.
The Head of Pre-Prep will be appointed by and report to the Head of Prep. The role will encompass the management of the Nursery through Year 2. This role is available for a January, April or September 2024 start.
- Lead the Nursery and Pre-Prep;
- Support the Head as a member of the Senior Management Team in the overall organisation and development of the whole school;
- Ensure the Nursery and Pre-Prep are distinctive and successful parts of the School;
- Advise the Head on policy-making and development-planning;
- Assist the Head, as part of the Senior Management Team, in planning and implementing Nursery, Pre-Prep and, where relevant, whole-school policies;
- Take an active participatory role, and leading role where appropriate, in all Continuous Professional Development (CPD);
- Take a leading role in identifying opportunities for the development of Nursery and Pre-Prep facilities and resources;
- Pioneer initiatives and innovative pedagogy in the Nursery and Pre-Prep, leading the development of outstanding, inventive teaching and learning, to maintain and further raise academic standards;
- Further the awareness and implementation of new teaching and learning methodologies across Nursery and Pre-Prep and ensure that creative use is made of resources, including new technologies;
- Communicate the vision for learning and teaching at SVPS in a clear and coherent way to a variety of audiences;
- Review and develop the Nursery and Pre-Prep curriculum in the context of -whole-school priorities and initiatives, liaising with other staff to ensure consistency across the whole School;
- Line managing and deploying the team of staff in Nursery and Pre-Prep, and drawing upon others within the School community as necessary, to deliver the best possible education for our children;
- Ensure high levels of pupil welfare, pastoral care and behaviour are in place in Nursery and Pre-Prep;
- Assist the Head in the regular monitoring and review of all the School’s policies with particular attention given to those specific to Nursery and Pre-Prep;
- Ensure that the Nursery and Pre-Prep satisfies all regulatory/ mandatory requirements issued by the DfE and relevant to ISI inspection, including EYFS elements; this involves both updating of school policies and the oversight of daily practice;
- Ensure the School’s policies are adhered to including any issues regarding Health and Safety;
- Be the Designated Safeguarding Lead within the Nursery and Pre-Prep and contribute to the development of safeguarding procedures across the School;
- Undertake any other duties that the Head may require from time to time.
- Ensure the smooth running of the Nursery and Pre-Prep on a day-to-day basis and have oversight of special occasions and events;
- Be responsible for staff rotas to include breakfast duties, clubs and absence cover;
- Oversee the academic tracking and monitoring of pupils within Nursery and Pre-Prep;
- Oversee the Nursery and Pre-Prep assessment and reporting framework alongside the organisation of parents’ evenings;
- Have oversight of the various channels of communication to Nursery and Pre-Prep parents;
- Work closely with the Head of Learning Support to provide the best possible provision for pupils with a specific learning difficulty or additional learning requirements;
- Take a leading role in the recruitment of new staff in Nursery and Pre-Prep ;
- Have an oversight of, contribute to and carry out the appraisal programme including the development of CPD opportunities for Nursery and Pre-Prep staff;
- Take a key role in the promotion of the School in terms of meeting prospective parents and speaking at a variety of events including Open Days;
- Foster and further develop links with the local community including those with key external stakeholders , other education providers and local businesses;
- Take responsibility for the organisation of entry assessments;
- Take an after-school club at least once a week;
- Take responsibility for the Breakfast Club;
- Work closely with the Year 3 staff to ensure the smooth transition of pupils between the Pre-Prep and the Prep School;
- Participate in occasional events and the SMT on call rota during evenings, weekends and school holidays.
- QTS or equivalent;
- Graduate of a recognised British University or international equivalent;
- Evidence of continuing professional development (CPD);
- A middle or senior management qualification would be desirable.
Closing date: Monday 13th October 2023
Please note: we reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date.
Sutton Valence School is an equal opportunities employer.