BBIS has an opening for a Deputy Head of Boarding (f/m/d) for an immediate or August start. This position is a non-teaching, boarding only position and will suit a candidate with experience in boarding education looking to take the next step in to boarding leadership and management, or those candidates with experience already of leading and managing in a boarding provision.
BBIS Berlin Brandenburg International School is an independent day and boarding school serving the internationally-minded community of Germany’s capital region and beyond. As one of the world’s leading International Baccalaureate (IB) schools, BBIS proudly offers three IB programmes in the Primary, Middle and Diploma years of schooling. In the current school year 2023/24 our school teaches about 850 students who represent more than 65 nationalities.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND ANTI-RACISM
In line with our mission statement, inclusion stands in the centre of our core values at BBIS to inspire everyone in our learning community to be responsible, compassionate global citizens. As such, we encourage applications for all positions from all educators with the relevant certification, including those who identify as BIPOC, educators with (dis)abilities, LGBTQ+ educators, and those traditionally underrepresented in the international school community to apply to join BBIS.
Aim of post: To support the Head of Boarding in being responsible for the welfare and care of boarding students (personal, emotional & social well being) at BBIS Boarding. To support the management in efficiently staffing, and organising and resourcing boarding. To provide a stimulating, orderly, family atmosphere where the boarding students feel safe, happy & enabled to learn best. To assist in leading a team of boarding mentors in a wide range of stimulating activities for boarding students.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- To perform duties alongside the other boarding mentors as a live-in mentor
- As designated by the Head of Boarding, take the lead on day-to-day operational matters to ensure the safe and secure operation and development of boarding, including:
- ensure that adequate arrangements for ‘back up’ cover are made
- deputise for the Head of Boarding in matters arising in the event that the Head of Boarding is unavailable, including recruitment and marketing interviews, tours and events
- ensuring that all members of the boarding staff are familiar with boarding policies and procedures, and to support the Head of Boarding in staff training and professional development
- liaising with support staff, such as maintenance and cleaning, to ensure the safe and secure operation of the boarding programme
- responsible for operational mentor budget and disbursement of appropriate allowance to staff
- be aware of the academic strengths and weaknesses of boarding students and to liaise with school staff to ensure that relevant background circumstances of boarding students are known and discussed
- supporting other boarding staff and the boarding counsellor to develop welfare plans and academic support plans
- supporting the Head of Boarding at times in student disciplinary matters
Additional Responsibilities and Tasks
- Supporting with trip, activities and event planning
- Supporting other boarding staff with arrival and departure of boarding students
- Assist with recruitment of boarding staff
- Support in ensuring that the voice of the child is heard
- To perform any other key tasks which the Head of Boarding may reasonably assign
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive and, will be amended from time to time, in the light of the changing needs of the boarding programme.
- Experience in working with young people in a residential setting
- University degree
- A commitment to the welfare and development of young people
- A passion for education and young people
- A creative mindset and enthusiastic attitude
- Passion about intercultural exchange and education
- Understand the demands of boarding school life and have the ability to maintain the professional framework of a boarding environment
- Initiative and willingness to work in an ambitious and dynamic community
Perks – more than just a job
- Have an impact. With professional competence and enthusiasm, we are improving day by day the educational level, and you too can have an impact on this journey
- Use our professional training to prepare you optimally for your tasks
- Push boundaries. Everyone is equally important and works together on uncharted challenges alongside inspiring colleagues from all over the world
- Fun at work and beyond. Join our team events – there’s always something to celebrate! Or use our fitness offers to get balanced
- Feel at home. Enjoy our green campus, our relocation service and the international open-minded community
The successful applicant will be required to undergo a thorough background/police check.
Apply here: https://www.bbis.de/employment/application?job=live-in-mentor-deputy-head-of-boarding-1