We are a thriving and expanding Sixth Form College with outstanding examination results.
Live-in House Parent
Full Time, all year round
Free private accommodation including all living bills paid
Salary on application
To start: April 2023
We are looking for a caring, supportive live-in house parent who will manage one of our College Houses which accommodates our international students. The successful candidate will have good house-keeping skills and will enjoy working with young people and supporting them in their studies.
Closing date for applications: Monday 27th February 2023 at 9:00am
The College reserves the right to interview and appoint early if a suitable candidate applies.
The successful candidates will be required to possess an enhanced DBS certificate and be subscribed to the update service to be employed at the College.
Further details of all vacancies and application forms can be found on our website. Candidates are welcome to send in CVs with a covering letter but will be asked to complete an application form during the interview process if selected for interview.
Penland Road, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN40 2JG
Title: House Parent
Responsible to: Director of Services Supporting Learning
Responsible for: Providing support and care for students (aged 16+) who live in College accommodation.
Managing and overseeing the accommodation
Role Description of House Parent
The College has three houses where it offers accommodation for oversees students. There is a house parent at each house. The House Parent will support the welfare and progress of students. This is an important role within the College and one which is central to exciting developments of our international work. Therefore, the successful candidate will help us shape the accommodation offer for international students and contribute to the international work of the College.
The main function of this post is to be an adult present in one of the Colleges houses and be responsible for the welfare of the students. The post holder must act as a parent figure who is generous with their time and responsive to the needs of the students. The post requires someone who likes and understands young people and is able to demonstrate common sense. They should be enthusiastic and inspirational to students. They should have good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with young people and their parents or guardians. They will need a clean DBS, a full driving licence and access to a car.
The list is neither definitive nor exclusive and the range of tasks would embrace many incidents and situations which are not stated, but require initiative and common sense to be applied. The job may involve any or all of the following:
- Provide an adult presence during agreed hours of duty and cover for emergencies.
- Plan, prepare, cook and serve 1 evening meal for students on the catering package 7 days a week within the allocated budget.
- Plan and provide breakfast and lunch 7 days a week for students on the catering package within the allocated budget.
- Shop as required to ensure that food supplies are maintained.
- Clean communal areas of the house including organising any student rotas as required.
- Ensure a general standard of cleanliness is kept in student accommodation including ensuring students present their bedding for washing.
- Promote the ‘rules’ of the house ensuring students are aware of the expectations and requirements of living in College accommodation.
- Maintain a good standard of cleanliness in House Parent’s private accommodation.
- Accompany the Property Manager on a termly maintenance check on all areas of the house.
- Launder students bedding and towels once a fortnight- except in exceptional circumstances such as illness where this may be needed more frequently.
- Provide additional room cleaning and housekeeping services as required.
- Order cleaning, domestic and medical supplies in conjunction with the Property Manager.
- Take responsibility for students well-being.
- Provide a monthly written update on each student to the Director of Services Supporting Learning.
- Ensure awareness of students’ individual health problems.
- Assist/advise students in the arrangement of medical and dental appointments as appropriate and accompany students when necessary.
- First line medical assessment including looking after students with minor illnesses and giving out non-prescription medicines as a parent/carer would do.
- Help students settle in to college life and support students in achieving a good work ethic.
- Work with members of staff to help students enjoy College life and to achieve their potential.
- Encourage and motivate students.
- Ensure that any Child Protection or Safeguarding concerns you may have is reported to the relevant Child Protection Officers at the College.
- Carry out an inventory of fixtures and fittings and reporting the need for repairs and replacements to the Property Manager.
- Ensure student follow routine as appropriate to their timetable.
- Ensure students adhere to the rules of the house, discipline where necessary, in conjunction with the Director of Services Supporting Learning/Vice Principals.
- Undertake invigilation during exam periods across the year
- To provide ‘on call’ cover during the day for the other house parents ‘on call’ day off.
- Be a car driver and have access to a car for work purposes
- To follow College policy in the management of Health and Safety in all aspects of your work, including a proactive approach to Risk Assessment for all your duties.
- Undertake regular appraisal and professional development to ensure proper delivery of these responsibilities. This includes training as required to maintain up to date knowledge of legislation and best practice, and using this knowledge to review College policies and procedures.
- Follow good practice and College policy in all aspects of the work and in the management of staff and resources. The post-holder will show an awareness of, and compliance with, all College policies and procedures, but particularly those relating to Health & Safety and Equal Opportunities.
- Undertake any reasonable task at the request of the Director of Services Supporting Learning, Principal or designated Deputy.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Up to £13,000.00 per year
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Overnight shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Bexhill, TN40 2JG: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 27/02/2023
Click here to apply.