Full Job Description
Giggleswick School are looking for an excellent Sports Graduate to fill this new role and drive Girls’ Cricket forward.
The successful applicant will ideally be a graduate looking to broaden their experience of working with young people in a residential educational environment. They will require a genuine understanding of children and have a keen interested in promoting their development and wellbeing. They will also require sound judgement, excellence communication skills, plenty of stamina and a good sense of humour!
They will first and foremost, be an enthusiastic, energetic sportsperson with a focus on Cricket.
We would look for a second sport, for example, Netball, Tennis, Swimming and Strength and Conditioning. Coaching qualifications would be advantageous, alternatively we would support the successful candidate through Level 1/Level 2 cricket qualification.
The ability to work as part of a team is vital, as the Graduate Assistant will work closely with the Director of Sport as well as all other staff involved in coaching and managing teams in both the Senior and Junior School.
The role will have the opportunity complete professional development courses linked to pastoral care and sport through our associated organisations or national governing bodies.
The role of Resident Boarding Tutor is within a Girls Boarding House, therefore we are looking for applications from female candidates, due to the nature of the role.
Preferred Specialist areas : Cricket, Netball, Tennis, Swimming and Strength and Conditioning
- Delivering specialist coaching in both the Junior and Senior Schools alongside supporting practical core PE lessons.
- Opportunity to assist with the teaching of PE lessons and GCSE and BTEC practical lessons
- Coaching and supervising games sessions across all age groups
- Administrative duties such as confirming fixtures and making catering and transport arrangements; publicising team sheets and collecting games registers
- Supervising regular evening sessions in the fitness centre or swimming pool
- Organising and participating in the extensive extra-curricular activity programme, especially for boarders
- Preparing sports facilities and opening them for internal and external bookings in liaison with the Facilities department
- Ensuring appropriate standards of behaviour, dress and attitude of the pupils in their care at all times
- In addition, the school would hope to provide you with opportunities to observe teaching, perhaps participate in some team teaching and be involved with other educational activities to broaden your experience
- All residential staff are attached to a boarding house and undertake two evening duties each week, one of which is at weekends
- Resident staff share other duties with Senior House Staff, such as wake-ups, registration etc
- Teachers are expected to support all aspects of the boarding life of the school. This can include making a contribution to the weekend activity programme for boarders on Saturday evenings or Sundays; supervising events or activities; attending Sunday Chapel services; by organising and leading trips; or sharing a pastime
- Teachers are assigned to a duty team which supervises school duties such as meals and weekend duties (e.g. detention) approximately every six weeks
- Once a year, teachers take part in an Exeat duty team to provide cover for the boarders who remain at School
- All teaching staff are expected to follow the Staff Code of Conduct and to follow the guidance laid out in the staff handbook
There will be the opportunity to work extra paid hours in the Giggleswick School Holiday Camps and associated sporting clubs attached to the school.
The successful candidate should:
· Be able to demonstrate strong knowledge and understanding of the concepts and skills of Cricket, Netball, Tennis and Strength and Conditioning.
· Be responsible for coaching and umpiring teams, inspiring them to achieve the highest standards
· Have the ability and desire to interact with young people and to make a significant contribution to a variety of teaching and extra-curricular activities
· Be able to enthuse and motivate pupils to perform to the best of their ability
· Commitment to and flexible with the demands of the role
· Demonstrates fairness and consistency in all dealings with pupils
· Energy and enthusiasm
· Able to demonstrate the positive values, attitudes and behaviour we expect from our pupils
· Reliability and integrity
· Willingness to contribute to the co-curricular life of the school
· A commitment to personal professional development and taking responsibility for it
· A positive motivation to work with children and young people
· Emotional resilience
· Evidence of a commitment to promoting the health, welfare and safeguarding of children
Start date: Autumn 2022
Salary: £12k – £14k per annum depending on experience
Closing date: 9.00am on Friday 9 September 2022
Interview date: w/c 12 September 2022
For further information and an application pack, please visit our website www.giggleswick.org.uk
If you would like to apply for this post, please complete and send the following information
· A completed application form (no CVs please)
· A covering letter addressed to the Headmaster, Mr Sam Hart, of not more than two pages summarising your ability related to the information outlined in the role.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £12,000.00-£14,000.00 per year
- Discounted or free food
- Employee discount
- Free parking
- Gym membership
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability