St John’s College School is looking for a Head of Boarding and houseparent to lead our well-established boarding house from January or April 2024. The position could be combined with a teaching role in the School but we are keen to receive applicants from non-teachers as well. Further details of the outstanding education we provide can be found on our website www.sjcs.co.uk.
The School is looking for an individual or couple who will enjoy leading a boarding house in an outstanding Prep School with high standards of pastoral care and bring a warmth and joie de vivre to a busy and stimulating environment.
This may be a teaching or a non-teaching depending on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate: Overall, the successful applicant will wish to play a full part in the life of a highly energetic, caring and successful School and is likely to possess some or all of the following qualifications, characteristics and experience:
- A commitment to the School’s ethos and aims including an ability to show empathy and compassion
- A commitment to prioritising safeguarding and the welfare of children
- A genuine wish to work for and with children aged 8 – 13 and support them in their development and progress.
- Able to work successfully as a member of a team.
- Strong administrative skills with associated IT skills.
- Evidence of an interest in further professional development.
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- A warm and caring personality
- Resilient, resourceful and an enthusiastic promoter of the benefits of boarding
- An ability to problem-solve using a consultative and inclusive approach
- Qualified Teacher Status if able to offer teaching
- A qualification from the Boarding Schools’ Association or similar accredited organisation.
- Successful experience of leading or being a senior member of a boarding environment, preferable for children aged 8 – 13.
- A love of the British choral tradition.
To apply, please complete an application form and send this with a covering letter to reach the Head, Mr Neil Chippington, St John’s College School, 75 Grange Road, Cambridge CB3 9AB (email@example.com) by 4pm on Friday 17th November 2023 at the latest.
References will be taken and short-listed candidates will be invited to attend interviews in the week beginning 27th November 2023. Visits will include a tour of the site and interviews with senior staff and current boarders. All reasonable interview expenses will be reimbursed by the School.
St John’s College School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
All appointments are subject to a criminal background check and proof of qualifications in accordance with the requirements of the Children Act.