Abbey College Cambridge is one of the best sixth form colleges for international students in the UK. We specialise in helping students from across the world achieve the personal, social and academic growth needed to succeed at the UK’s best universities.
We are currently looking for caring and an enthusiastic House Parents to join our expanding ‘Outstanding’ rated boarding team from October 2023.
As a House Parent, your role will be to provide top quality pastoral care for our students, making them feel part of our college community and supporting them in their journey towards independent living at university and beyond. This will involve upholding student welfare, maintaining discipline and assisting students with their time management.
Your duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Conducting wake up calls to ensure that students attend school on time.
- Supporting students who are ill and injured by providing first aid, medical support, and escorting students to medical appointments.
- Ensuring boarding is maintained to the highest standard to allow students to thrive in both their educational studies and personal lives.
- Supervising students during study time and meal times.
- Carrying out curfew checks.
- Running and supporting after school and weekend activities such as clubs, sports, trips and mentoring.
- Offering support and guidance to all boarders, promoting student welfare and enforcing behaviour policies.
- Assisting in the management of the college residence, induction of new students, and the organisation of student departures and room inventories.
Qualifications and Experience
You will hold A Levels or equivalent qualifications, be competent in the use of a PC, particularly the use of MS Word and Outlook, and have a working knowledge of record keeping and data protection. You will have excellent verbal and written English and a working understanding of child protection. Higher level qualifications and previous experience working with children or in a care setting is desirable.
Full time house parents will be required to work on a rota covering day, evening, and weekend shifts. Initially you will work a 5 day on two days off rota. Working 37.5 hours a week and up to 2 Sleep-ins per week.
A salary of £20,500 – £23,200 per annum is offered to the successful candidate depending on qualifications and experience.
- 50 days annual leave (6 weeks to be taken in the summer break)
- Employee assistance programme
- Sports groups and free on site gym facilities
- Alpha Plus Group personal pension plan
- Season ticket train travel discount and loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted school fees
- Regular social events
- Meals provided during shift.
Alpha Plus Group (APG)
Abbey College Cambridge is a constituent college of the Abbey DLD Group of Colleges, which is in turn part of the Alpha Plus Group.
APG is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and as an employee of APG you will be expected to share this commitment. The protection of our students’ welfare is the responsibility of all staff and individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of our organisation.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
How to Apply
Please request our Applicant Information Pack for full details about the position and the college. Please enclose your CV and a detailed personal statement detailing why you think you have the necessary skills to be successful in this position. Candidates will be shortlisted on a weekly basis and the position will remain open until all positions are filled.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: £20,500.00-£23,200.00 per year
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted or free food
- Free parking
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- 8 hour shift
- Do you have experience of working with teenagers?
- United Kingdom (required)
Work Location: In person
Reference ID: ACC 75