ABOUT CATS COLLEGE CAMBRIDGE
CATS College offers an outstanding international pre-university educational experience to students aged 14+ from all over the world. Students live and work at the custom built Cambridge campus, studying for GCSEs, A levels and University Foundation Programmes, and preparing for admission to universities across the country and elsewhere. We pride ourselves on our approach to teaching and learning, with small class sizes and an informal atmosphere ensuring that students are treated as individuals and build great relationships with staff. We are committed to the safeguarding, health and well-being of our students.
OVERVIEW OF THE JOB
You will be a supervising adult presence in the boarding house that is committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of our international boarding students and assist them in their daily lives, working hours on a two week shift pattern. Weekday hours when on duty are evenings and mornings, and each two week shift contains a weekend on duty.
When on shift you will live in the accommodation provided for the better performance of your duties. You may choose to do so when not on shift.
You will be directly responsible to the Head of Boarding. You will work within the framework set by and under the general direction of the Principal.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB
As a member of the Boarding team, you should carry out your role to support the needs of the students you work with and the College in general.
- Wake every student in the morning for breakfast and morning registration and inspect student bedrooms, filling in appropriate paperwork
- Monitor the students’ welfare and behaviour and report any problems in the residence to the Head of Welfare & Head of Boarding
- Supervise students’ Prep hour in the evenings and Supervised Study at the weekends
- Report student illness promptly to the Health centre in the mornings. If emergency attention is required, to use the emergency number or call an Ambulance
- Ensure the smooth running of the boarding house generally in accordance to the student handbook to maintain a friendly, welcoming and happy environment
- At weekends, to help the domestic team with maintaining general cleanliness and tidiness in the boarding house
- Reporting any maintenance issues through the college system
- Assist with laundry requirements of the students
- Issue keys/cards as residence requires
- To ensure a visible presence in and around the premises of the boarding house at all times when on duty
- Ensure curfew times are kept; filling in associated paperwork as requested and reporting issues of lateness
- Help with student arrivals, student induction and departures when required
- Attend termly induction and regular staff meetings
- Arrange regular meetings with the students
- Liaise with Programme Directors and Heads of Department as requested
- During the period of Summer School, to undertake supervision of activities and assist with trips as directed by the Head of Boarding/Deputy Head of Boarding
As part of your wider role within the College, you will also:
- Follow the guidelines of the staff handbook
- Support the College and its leadership
- Continue personal development as agreed
- Engage actively in the performance review process
- Comply with any reasonable request from the Principal or Head of School to undertake work not specified in this job description
- To be courteous to colleagues and parents and to provide a welcoming environment for all visitors to the College
In particular, you will:
- Treat students with dignity, building relationships rooted in mutual respect;
- Have regard for the need to safeguard students’ well-being;
- Show tolerance of and respect for the rights of others;
- Maintain high standards of attendance and punctuality;
- Help to create and maintain a safe working environment for everyone;
- Understand and act within the relevant College, national and statutory frameworks;
- Develop and maintain a full understanding of current child protection procedures.
The job requires that you have:
- Ability to work with, care for and supervise young people
- High levels of energy, an even temper and a sense of humour
- Confidence in spoken and written English
- Confidence to tackle students who are not adhering to the College rules
- Ability to relate to young people
- Ability and willingness to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Willingness to work unsociable hours
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to work as a team member and lead by example
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and reliable
CARE (CUSTOMER FIRST) PRINCIPLES
Everyone who is part of the CATS College Cambridge community is expected to CARE. This means that we:
- Go the extra mile
- Follow-up & follow through
- Take ownership
- Look for a solution
- Address issues positively
- Communicate proactively
- Are active listeners
- Are respectful and value students, parents and other customers
ABOUT Global Schools
CATS Global Schools are a leading provider of pre-university academic courses and English language courses in the UK. We provide programmes including A Level, IB and University Foundation, as well as English Language Study, to a growing number of international students seeking to win places at UK universities.
We operate a number of different educational brands: CATS Colleges in Cambridge, CATS Academy in Boston The Worthgate School in Canterbury, Guildhouse School in London, Bosworth Independent School in Northampton, Bournemouth Collegiate School, Cambridge School of Visual and Performing Arts (CSVPA) and Stafford House English language schools and study holidays. We benefit from being part of a global team focused on teaching and learning.
CATS Global Schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and expect everyone connected with the organisation to share this commitment. All positions are subject to the satisfactory completion of safer recruitment pre-employment checks in line with KCSIE guidelines. All shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a criminal declaration form prior to interview and be subject to online checks which may include social media
Source – Houseparent Jobs – 2023 | Indeed.com