Closing Date: 24 February 2023
Salary: Saint Felix has its own pay scales
Employment Term: Full Time / Temporary
Resident Boarding and Learning Assistant
We are seeking to appoint enthusiastic, dynamic and highly-motivated Resident Boarding and Learning Assistant to work at our busy day and boarding school. The successful candidate could be interested in a career in the education sector and is keen to build up valuable work experience. Candidates will have the opportunity to work across all departments and get involved in all areas of school life (academic support, Sport, Swimming, Music, Drama and Art). Opportunities for further training and qualifications may be available for the right candidate.
This position is offered for up to a one academic year on a fixed term basis. This residential position will receive a salary, accommodation and utilities, as well as meals during term time.
Reports to: Head of Boarding
Terms and Conditions.
Meals: Meals are provided free of charge during term time periods
Pension: Auto-enrolled into workplace pension scheme
Salary: Saint Felix has its own pay scales
Duties and Responsibilities
Main duties will assist in the Boarding Houses, classrooms and during games lessons. Potential to help coach our main sports of rugby, football, netball, hockey, cricket and tennis throughout the week. Supporting teaching staff in other subjects in the three school departments; Pre-Preparatory, Preparatory and Senior.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in working with children of all ages, in sporting activities and pastoral settings, have excellent time-management skills and experience in the sports named above.
- Assist with any other duties as required
- To ensure that all tasks are completed with the necessary level of discretion and that all information remains confidential
- To attend school events as required
- The post holder has personal responsibility for safety as outlined in the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
- All staff are required to abide by and promote the School’s Safeguarding, e-safety, Professional Conduct and Equal Opportunities Policies.
- Employees are to promote and ensure the good reputation of the school.
- Contribute to the overall development of Saint Felix School strategies and plans
- Build and maintain good working relationships with all colleagues
- Act in accordance with Data Protection principles at all times
- Adhere at all times to School’s Operational and Employment policies and procedures
Person Specification Essential Criteria
- Demonstrate an enjoyment of working with children
- Be educated to ‘A’ level or equivalent
- Demonstrate efficiency and a sense of humour, with a proven ability to remain calm and professional at all times
- Provide evidence of flexibility, adaptability and a willingness to undertake a range of tasks and commitments, with proven administrative skills and a good IT literacy
- Demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills, and be able to work either as part of a team or independently
- Display an ability to use initiative and take responsibility
- Demonstrate good communication and listening skills and be able to build relationships with pupils and staff
- Be flexible and adaptable
- Skills, supported by demonstrable experience, in the supervision and care of children, either individually or in groups
- Provide evidence of specialist knowledge in a relevant subject or sport (curriculum topic, co-curricular activity or special educational needs)
- Recognised First Aid or Life Saving Qualification
What we offer in return:
- The opportunity to work in an idyllic independent boarding school setting by the East coast of England
- Be part of an established boarding team and friendly staff across various departments
- Gain classrooms and teaching experience and develop coaching skills in a arrange of sports
- To work with a range of people from all over the world
The above is an indication of the requirements of the post and is not meant to be inclusive or exhaustive. Any role that needs reasonably to be undertaken should also be undertaken whether or not included in the above.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom he/she is responsible, or with whom he/she comes into contact will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the school’s Child Protection Policy Statement at all times. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post, the post-holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the school, he/she must report any concerns to the Head.
This non-contractual job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It will be reviewed at least once every two years (as part of the appraisal process) and it may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the holder of the post.